Work permit

If an employee already has a right of residence, applying for a work permit (TWV) can allow them to perform work in the Netherlands.

The TWV is a permit for which the employer must apply to the UWV for an employee who comes from outside the EU / EEA and Switzerland. The EEA is the European Economic Area. This includes all countries of the EU (the European Union), plus the countries of Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland.

Before you can apply for the TWV, you must meet the conditions for this permit. These are the following:

  • First you must have tried for a period of five weeks to fill the vacancy with an employee from the EU / EEA or Switzerland. This is called the priority offer. For functions that are difficult to fill, this may be extended to even a three-month period.
  • You must have registered the vacancy with the UWV (The employers’ service point via You can only apply for the TWV once the vacancy has been available for five weeks without being filled.
  • Your employee must have a valid residence permit or have applied for one.

You may also enjoy these articles

Redundancy and residence rights
Top 7 tips for highly skilled migrants
When to fight for your rights as an expat in the netherlands